Chicken with Honey Sauce

I posted last week about making some more freezer meals. Tonight we ate the Chicken with Honey Sauce. It was a in a long post from the Test Kitchen of Melissa Fallis that she did a lot of freezer cooking, but it boils down to this recipe:
·         1 cup honey
·         1/2 cup soy sauce
·         1/8 cup chopped onion (I did more than that)
·         1/4 cup ketchup
·         2 Tbs. vegetable oil
·         3 cloves garlic, minced
·         1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes *if you don’t like heat, don’t add these
·         2 chicken breasts
All in the freezer bag, cover the chicken well and freeze. When you want to eat it, let it thaw in the freezer. Cook in the crock pot on low 7-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
 
She sets it up to split her recipes in to 2 freezer bags, I'm not sure if I was misreading, butI
felt like that mixture of sauce was only enough for 1 bag. I wanted to be sure I had enough
sauce to cover the 2 chicken breasts while they were cooking in the crock pot. So I ended up
only making 1 freezer bag this time.


I heated up some of my frozen rice, that I made on my first freezer cooking adventure. It's pretty sticky but that's the first time I have used brown rice (at all) and since I don't ever thaw things very far in advance I'm not sure if it's because of that or just how the rice is. We started to cook broccoli to go with it, and then realized that we didn't have very much (one I bought too long ago and gone bad!) So we threw that in with the chicken as it finished cooking. Then we (Trey) cooked up some asparagus to go on the side. It all turned out pretty yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment