The Ceremony

After we were released from our safe places to hide from the tornado the girls went back upstairs and we really had no idea how long it would be until we were called down. We were just hanging out chatting and next thing I know they are calling the bridesmaids down and I was just supposed to wait at the top of the steps. It was almost time!
Guests waiting for the ceremony to begin. Notice that the chandeliers aren't on - no power!

I walked downstairs and waited outside the ballroom doors and was suddenly overcome with excitement and emotion. I was trying so hard not to cry but tears filled my eyes. I only let a couple sneak out. As I walked into the ballroom and down the aisle this continued, but I managed not to truly cry - which is pretty impressive because I am definitely a crier.
Trying to keep it together!

Ring bearers & flower girl walking down the aisle.

As I mentioned, we lost power during the storm so we still didn't have power. Luckily, we had candles in our decoration so we lit all of those and there were windows at the front of the ballroom. Right as I began to walk down the aisle the sun came out, shinning brightly.
Walking down the aisle


View from the back

My dad gave me away and we went through the first part of the ceremony. As we turned to pour our unity sand we moved and realized that the guests were still standing! Needless to say everyone's minds were a little jumbled that day, so the preacher said "oh you can sit now!! We just wanted you to see what it felt like for us." It was too funny. Everyone was a good sport about it. My aunt did a reading for us and I had been trying for a while to pick out something that would be just right but I couldn't decide. At the rehearsal dinner I gave her the pieces that I had found and wanted to let her pick. As she started reading I learned that she and my uncle found something else - and it was perfect.
Dad giving me away


Laughing at the fact that the guests were still standing

My aunt's reading

The poem is called "The Art of Marriage" which is a longer poem, she cut out a few lines - this is what she read:


The little things are the big things.
It is never being too old to hold hands.
It is remembering to say "I love you" at least once a day.

It is never going to sleep angry.
It is at no time taking the other for granted;
the courtship should not end with the honeymoon,
it should continue through all the years.

It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives.
It is standing together facing the world.
It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family.
It is doing things for each other, not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice,but in the spirit of joy.

It is finding room for the things of the spirit.
It is a common search for the good and the beautiful.
It is establishing a relationship in which the independence is equal,dependence is mutual and the obligation is reciprocal.
It is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.

And before we knew it we were Mr. & Mrs. Winoski!

Exchanging rings

Sealed with a kiss!

Mr. & Mrs!

No comments:

Post a Comment