Nana's Pumpkin Pie

I have always loved my Nana's pumpkin pie. I was given the recipe a few years ago and was in charge of making it for Thanksgiving this year. Nana has always made the crust from scratch, in a pretty large pie pan. Well I was definitely not going to be making crust, so I just bought a frozen pie crust. Of course I did not realize that those were much smaller than her pie crusts so my first attempt was a pretty interesting one.

Here's the recipe:



What You Need:
2 eggs, well beaten
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1 ¾ cup pumpkin (15 oz Libby’s can)
1 ½ cup milk

What You Do:
Combine eggs, sugar, salt, spice & pumpkin mix. 
Stir in milk, pour into pie sheets (unbaked). 
Bake at 425 degrees for 15 min, then 350 degrees for 40 min.


I filled ONE of the frozen pie crusts (although the directons on the crust said to let it sit out for about 15 minutes, so I did). Well I didn't want to waste so I filled it pretty full....

Turns out that was a bad idea. The crust didn't hold up! Before long it started to collapse the side, so I put a cookie sheet underneath it to catch the drip. And after having it cook 10 minutes longer than the directions said to, it still had a nice wiggle in the middle. I tried it for about 10 minutes more and it was still just runny in the middle. I decided that this was not working very well, as the sides were getting pretty solid and the middle was runny.

We ran out to the store (had to anyways) and got a few more things and I decided to make attempt #2. This time I used 2 frozen pie crusts (Pillsbury this time, to make sure they held up!) and the recipe made enough but these 2 were probably a little underfilled.

Attempt #2 was a success! I actually forgot to take pictures after it was cooked, but it tasted awesome and was enjoyed with our Thanksgiving feast!

No comments:

Post a Comment